[AT] RE: BN 40 Tug

Andy Glines andyglines at hotmail.com
Wed Apr 14 05:08:02 PDT 2004

I would assume that if you loosen the lug nuts the wheels will come off of
the hub just like they do on a car.  A couple of tips here.  The left side
wheel may have left handed threads.  If they do there should be an "L"
stamped on the nut, stud, or both.  Many times these whees were hels on by a
two piece stud.  Removing the nut took off the outer wheel while using a
special socket with a squalre drive removed the large stud releasing the
outer wheel.  A smaller stude will remain when finished.  Your hub may use
nuts only though.  The pics make it look like the wheels themselves are
fine.  The hub that they bolt to is your problem.  Fixing the hub might not
be to hard at all.  Is the end of the axle straight or tapered?  If the axle
is straight just bore out the hub and install a sleeve/bushing to bring it
back to the right size.  The bushing can be made it the axle is tapered but
it will be a little tougher.  You could weld/braze up the hole in the hub
and bore it to the proper size.  A whole new hub couls be built.  You should
also see if this hub is the same as used on other ford tractors.  If it
matches just get one from a tractor salvage yard.  Maybe a standard ford hub
could be modified to fit your wheels..........  What condition are the ends
of the axles?  Has the hub wobbleling around caused damage to the end of the
axle?