[AT] Small square hay bales?

Bill Bruer bill_bru at bellsouth.net
Thu Apr 8 13:21:14 PDT 2004

My bales are 36" long, and tight.  In clean orchard grass, they run 50-55
lbs.  If there's some clover mixed in they may go 60 lbs.  As others have
said, the 36" length makes for good stacking anywhere.  It especially works
well in the utility-style trailers so many people use that have a 6' wide
bed.  My customers seem happy with the weight.  It's about as much as most
want to handle and they can see they're not buying a lot of air.  The
hauling crew is quick to tell me if I'm giving the customers too much of a
good value  8>)

Spencer mentioned how quickly hay can pick up moisture from humidity
increases in the air.  When that happens, we say that the hay is going "in
case".  We see it happen almost every evening, well before there is any
actual dew, and that is the time to stop baling for the day.  It may also
happen when there is an approaching storm.  Is anyone else familiar with
this expression?

Bill Bruer
Murfreesboro, TN