[AT] Way OT Crystal sets

CEE VILL cvee60 at hotmail.com
Wed Apr 7 15:39:21 PDT 2004

My older brother was the radiohead in the family.  He would buy crystals and
headphones from Allied Radio thru the mail and build crystal sets in what we
knew as penny match boxes.  He sold them to kids at school for .50 cents
each, minus the one eared headphone with the metal head band.  That was
additional. I think he made 15 or 20 cents on each match box radio.  I used
to spend time in my room listening to the country music from W- C- K- Y ,
Cincinatti 1,  Ohiiiioo. I can't remember the evening announcers name, but
it seems like it was Russ or Ross something.  I ordered those sets of about
four 78 r.p.m. Queen City  Records on more tham one occasion. That radio
station was nearly a 500 mile draw, but the old Philco cathederal I had with
used dynamite wire strung around the room for an antenna worked pretty good
in cold weather.   Memories!!!!!!!

Charlie V. in WNY