[AT] Way OT Crystal sets

pga2 at hot1.net pga2 at hot1.net
Wed Apr 7 05:19:28 PDT 2004

>> The crystal sets of long ago were lots of fun for youngsters. Mine had
>> a crystal in a chunk of lead and used a cats whisker piece of wire
>> mounted on a small shaft with a ball pivot so that it could be moved
>> around on the crystal to find the best spot for reception. The ear
>> phones were the old type that could be taken apart to reveal a small
>> metal disc and the two wire wound pole pieces. A good antenna and
>> ground rod were required for good reception. The later units (kits)
>> used a diode --1N34-- I believe for the detector. All the strong local
>> stations could be picked up.
>>
>> H. L. Staples
>> McLoud, Oklahoma
>> USA
>

> 	Geez, H.L., I didn't think you were old enough to remember crystal
> sets?  ;-)   I bought one around 1940 and never could get it to work
> where we lived in Minnesota. We were 25 miles from the nearest radio
> station and the signal was too weak to pick up anything. All I got was a
> little noise. I remember the black headphones with the spring headband.
> My bedroom  was upstairs and I ran a wire out to a tree in the back yard
> but even then it never worked for me. Finally had to give up on it.
>
> Cecil

I'm several years younger than H.L. and I had one of those crystal sets
when I was about 8 or 9. If memory serves me right, it was a kit that I
got while in Cub Scouts. Dad and I put it together on a board that we
attachedd to the wall next to the desk in my room with the antenna strung
out the second story window across the back yard to a tree. Worked like a
champ.

Phil