[AT] OT Question OT

Cecil E Monson cmonson at hvc.rr.com
Wed Apr 7 04:07:09 PDT 2004

> Wayne,
>
> I know why my smaller hard drive  is partitioned like it is...
>
> C:/ is for programs and the operating system.  It can be formatted without
> losing any data... 9.76 gig
>
> D:/ is for data only.  It's where the things that are important to me
> live... 14.2 gig
>
> E:/ is where any downloaded program goes before installation... 14.2 gig
>
> I think it's a mistake to store stuff on the same drive as the operating
> system.
>
> George Willer

	My SIL works with large computer systems for companies all over the
world and when I asked him about this, he said the same thing you do, George.
As a matter of fact, he recommended I install a 2nd hard drive for my files.
An 80 Gb hard drive only cost me a little over $100 from Tiger Direct and
as he told me, that 2nd hard drive can be removed and installed in another
computer anytime and even if the main drive goes kaput, it should still be
OK. This 2nd hard drive can also be installed as an outboard drive and kept
separate from the computer if I wish. MY SIL told me to keep all programs
on the main drive and only put files on Drive #2. That is what I have done.

	When I installed it, XP recognised it right away and installed it
as Drive G as I already had several removeable drives on this computer.
Seems to work just fine.

Cecil
what you said.

Cecil E Monson