[AT] another Allis Chalmers question

Cecil E Monson cmonson at hvc.rr.com
Tue Apr 6 05:55:39 PDT 2004

> I suspect that the muffler Valu-Bilt has is a Stanley. According to what
> has been discussed on the Unofficial Allis-Chalmers discussion board, it
> works ok, but doesen't have the sound of the Nelson orginal. I wouldn't
> know the difference, myself, having never heard an original D-series
> tractor run. Most of the Stanley mufflers don't do much as a muffler
> anyway as the ones I've seen are straight through with some perforations
> in the pipe that is within the "muffler" body. I do know that I wouldn't
> want to spend all day plowing on my Farmall M equipped with a Stanley
> muffler without some ear protection..
>
> Phil

	I feel the same way about the "honeytone" muffler that is on this
D-12 now, Phil. It is one of those aftermarket mufflers they sell to kids
to put on their cars to make them sound loud. I have had good luck with
Sandy Lake Implement in the past and had called them just before your email
came in. They carry the Stanley oval muffler for the D-12, which is the
same one that Valu-Bilt carries. It comes black and Sandy Lake's price is
$38.14.  I ordered one from them and will give it a try and see how I like
it. I don't mind the noise as I don't hear so good any more - one of the
side effects of liking the sound of center fire handguns. grins.  I would
imagine it should be somewhat quieter than the small 3 inch muffler one
there now.

Cecil
what you said.

Cecil E Monson