[AT] restoring a steering wheel

Cecil E Monson cmonson at hvc.rr.com
Mon Apr 5 13:39:08 PDT 2004

	My newly acquired D-12 Series III Allis Chalmers tractor
originally had a cream colored steering wheel. It appears to me to
have been factory painted over the black wheel. As most of the paint
has worn off due to normal use and there are only a few thin cracks
in the wheel itself, I thought I'd vee out the cracks, fill them with
Bondo or something of that sort and then paint it. Bob Brooks was
over here one day while I was looking it over and suggested I use
the off white enamel used on my Woods mowers as it appeared to be a
very close match to the Allis Chalmers cream color. I've never done
a steering wheel before and wondered if anyone has experience with
regular enamel paint lasting when used to paint a steering wheel?
Also, if any of you have painted steering wheels, and I suppose you
have, what did you use for paint?  If you painted an Allis steering
wheel, what paint and what color did you use?

	Thanks for any help with this matter.

Cecil
what you said.

Cecil E Monson