[AT] Help with Gooseneck Hitch selection needed

Howard Bottles howard.bottles at austin.ppdi.com
Mon Apr 5 09:20:56 PDT 2004

I have a removeable ball in my truck and so far it works really well.
Spring loaded cross pin holds the ball in place.

Howard

Vaughn Miller wrote:

>I have one of those hitches, the name on it is "PopUp."  The vender I bought
>it from no longer carries it, so I assume others have had problems as well.
>I have the oposite problem, as if the ball stays up most of the time, you
>have to beat on it with a hammer to get it to go down.  Mine now stays up
>all the time (which defeats the whole purpose of the hitch)
>
>Vaughn

>	My only experience with other than a rigidly mounted ball
>has been with the rather expensive unit that son Scott
>bought and installed in his truck. It is one of those cool
>ideas that are better on paper than in use. It is a pop-up
>ball that is operated by a handle in the wheel well that
>operates a cam under the ball to lift or lower it.
>supposedly you don't have to climb up in the bed. The
>trouble is that if you run around empty with the ball down
>sand and grit gets in around the ball and locks it in place.
>It takes a lot of silly fiddling to get it working again. If
>it was machined a little more sloppy it might not jam so
>bad. They make a little cover that will seal the top of the
>ball from dirt if it doesn't get bumped and knocked off. If
>you have to climb up in the bed to deal with that you might
>as well climb up there to deal with a good flip ball or trap
>door well mount.

This email transmission and any documents, files or previous email
messages attached to it may contain information that is confidential or
legally privileged. If you are not the intended recipient or a person
responsible for delivering this transmission to the intended recipient,
you are hereby notified that you must not read this transmission and
that any disclosure, copying, printing, distribution or use of this
transmission is strictly prohibited. If you have received this transmission
in error, please immediately notify the sender by telephone or return email
and delete the original transmission and its attachments without reading
or saving in any manner.