[AT] Names that have become generic

Grant Brians gbrians at hollinet.com
Sun Apr 4 20:47:15 PDT 2004

Charlie, I had a little bit of an advantage in that my dad had started
working with computers in the mid 50's and in 1962 he was a physics teacher
at a high school in the Los Angeles area. The computer I "played" with was
the first computer at a high school in Southern California and it was a
Bendix G-15 (yes, that Bendix!) donated by Control Data Corp after my dad
talked them into doing so. They had purchased the computers operation that
Bendix had had in the 50's in 1961 so this was a used unit. As I remember it
was about the size of  two standard desks stacked on top of each other. Yes,
the primary means of data and program input was paper tape and punch cards.
    But as I remember there was an operator's console with a teletype
keyboard! I actually input programs and did other things that I don't now
remember.... So, yes you are right this was VERY unusual to have a three
year old around a computer of any kind.
        Grant