[AT] Names that have become generic

David Myers walking_tractor at yahoo.com
Sun Apr 4 14:36:07 PDT 2004

--- charlie hill <chill8 at cox.net> wrote:
> What sort of computers were you boys using in '62?
> There weren't any hand
> held calculators unitl about 68 and they were
> hundreds of dollars each to *
> / + - and hold one constant
Hey Charlie, just thought of my first experience with
a computer.  It was a Heathkit (don't even ask what
model).  Analog box with a bunch of patch cords and
double banana plug resistors, diodes, etc.  Used an
oscillascope for a screen.  Did things like a
'bouncing ball' and 'projectile trajectory'.  Took a
week of after school work to get it to do something.
Didn't understand it but had fun anyhow.  BTW, this
was about 1968 or so.
Any real work was on paper or with slide rule (and the
book of tables from the Handbook of Chemistry and
Physics.  I was a rather privliged sort, I guess.
About the same as carrying a laptop around today, I
would think.

=====
Dave Myers
Paw Paw, Michigan

In the heart of  Michigan's wine country.