[AT] Allis CA Hand Clutch

Gilbert Schwartz gschwartz1 at mchsi.com
Sun Apr 4 09:31:24 PDT 2004

Leroy; When the thing works correctly you pull it back to cause it to
disengage  and it'll go back to the engaged position without pressure. As
you said, it'll spring back to engaged. These things aren't expensive to
fix, they're just considerable work. You have to remove the seat, platform,
right fender, wheel and then the right axle housing. While you're there, put
in the right inner axle grease seal, the right brake bands and any broken or
worn out parts of the clutch to include a new facing on the clutch. Quite
often a leaking seal is what causes the clutch to go out in the first place.
Also clean all of the dirt, straw, hay, mouse nests, acorns, nuts and
assorted junk out of  the housing. It'll be oily if the seal is bad.
It'll cost about $65 for a clutch reface kit from AGCO and probably $20 to
have the brake bands refaced at a brake shop and maybe $5  for a new seal.
That's it, except for the band aids, blood, time and four lettered words.
Gil