[AT] OT amateur radio license

Cecil E Monson cmonson at hvc.rr.com
Fri Apr 2 10:51:17 PST 2004

	Bear, I haven't kept up my ham license and wish I had. I started out
in the late 50s when I had a couple CB radios for communications between two
trucks we had on the road. I became interested in ham radio, bought a study
guide and a Radio Amateur's Handbook and taught myself enough to eventually
get my Second Class Radiotelephone license as well as my General Class Ham
license. I used my knowledge in ham radio to get a position as an engineering
technician with Sylvania Electric. After working there for a couple years, I
took a position as Chief Technician in a new Cable TV system being built in
western NY. From there to system manager, then a regional manager and finally
back into engineering and was in charge of all construction in the US until
I retired in 1994. I feel that ham radio and what I learned from it were all
I needed to get the positions I held. In my ham shack I had a Collins 32S-1
receiver, a Hammarlund SP-600 and a number of home built transmitters and
linear amplifiers. I also ran RTTY for several years. I enjoyed 80 meter CW
and spent most of my time there and running a MARS station. It was a very
enjoyable hobby. Talking to old time hams was a lot like talking to present
day antique tractor collectors. Maybe that is one big reason I enjoy tractors
and the people who own them so much.

Cecil   ex WA2RWP/AD2RWP