[AT] Problem with missing messages at AOL

Spencer Yost Spencer.Yost at piedmontsystems.com
Fri Apr 2 10:25:29 PST 2004

This goes to the missing message problem at AOL, not the slow delivery problem at AOL which has been solved.

I always suspected the problem to be certain ATIS susbscribers being blacklisted at AOL, but AOL servers would not give me any error codes to prove it .   But I finally trapped an error message and I found the proof I needed for my hypothesis.  As I suspected, it was AOL blacklisting authors.   AOL has SPAM blocks enabled for certain senders.  As a side note, my office manager, whose mother has an AOL account, says it is easy for a sender to get put on there - someone just has to complain about you.  That's all, no history or real proof has to be presented or anything.   How scary...

Anyways, the error report below means any message authored by the blacklisted sender - which is NOT shared by AOL, will NOT go to to any of the AOL list subscribers listed - EVEN IF THE RECEIVER BELOW is not the one that complained about the sender to start with?!?.   This is why AOL subscribers complain that some messages come through fine and yet other just disappear.

THREE VERY IMPORTANT NOTES!!!!!

1 - There is more than one sender blocked by AOL
2 - AOL is not the only one doing this.
3 - This also explains AOL members getting bounce "scores" from my software to the point their subscription is disabled.  To wit: