[AT] Names that have become generic

Billy Hood aggie1967 at msn.com
Fri Apr 2 08:30:05 PST 2004

Cecil
I started in ham radio in the late 50's and early 60's and remember that condensers was used much more often than capacitors.  I worked on a project for U of Nevada/Reno in 66 where we had to construct our own equipment to measure vectors of the microenvironment/microclimate for NASA.  I bought considerable Govt Surplus electronics for components and often just for the cases.  I have a wooden box that is a govt contract dated 1958 that held large lightening discharge capacitors for antenna coax protection.  It is labeled condensers by the manuf.

Points and capacitors just do not cut it for this ol' country boy.
Bear

  From: Cecil E Monson<mailto:cmonson at hvc.rr.com>

  No, Dean, the term "condensers" was used in both electrical
  as well as electronics. I don't believe the term capacitors became
  widely used until we got into solid state electronics. Any ham radio
  handbook from the 60s and 70s on back was full of references to
  condensers. I quoted from my 1948 Radio Amateur's Handbook yesterday.
  The study guides for both the Amateur Radio license and Commercial
  Radiotelephone license used the term. I had both Second Class Phone
  and General Class Ham licenses.

  Cecil