[AT] Oil Filters

Len Rugen lrugen at c-magic.com
Fri Apr 2 06:42:08 PST 2004

I guess there is a price for competence....  I've just gone thru my annual
spring quest for oil filters.  Funny thing, the old tractors were easy.  My
Kohler powered Scotts riding mower was a pain.  I got a filter from a lawn
and garden store, no part number, "one size fits all" filter, which they
assured me would fit.  It was $11.  It didn't fit.

The old filter was a Wix, which I had bought last year at NAPA, I think it
was $9, so I got the number.  I was in Home Depot next, they had a blister
pack filter for $6 labeled for Kohler engines, it was the last one they had,
laying on the counter, with no "home" slot, so they probably won't restock
it.  Next I asked at the auto parts store, they could "Special Order" a
filter in a few days, I'll pass on that.  I'll need to change the oil more
than once this year.    I checked Fram's web site, the Wix number crosses to
a PH2821A.  Check Wal-Mart.  $2.54 for as many of them as I want.
Apparently it's a common auto filter.  What fun...

What a rip off....

---