[AT] HOTLINE ANTIQUE Tractor Guide. Vol III 2003/2004

charlie hill chill8 at cox.net
Thu Apr 1 20:49:38 PST 2004

I subscribed to the Hotline on a regular basis for a number of years.  The
same lady called every year to renew my subscription.  I always found the
folks at Hotline to be professional in their attitudes and business dealings
but they are NOT tractor experts.  They are just some folks who are trying
to provide a service by publishing, in a very professional manner, aution
data on tractors and equipment.

As George said, it is not 100% accurate.  Heck it might not even be 80%
accurate but it IS a good baseline guide for everyday dealing and that is
what they are trying to do.  The errors in Hotline are due to errors in the
data reported to them or simple typographical errors that are typically made
in publishing.

While I wish their book was 100% accurate I understand why it is not.  I
make a good bit of my living appraising real estate.  Every day I have to
make judgements on property based on data I collect and other data that I
get from  sources that I can not always adequately confirm.  Dealing in
these old tractors is a lot the same.
Some of us happen to have superior knowledge in a particular brand or series
of tractor and the errors we see in Hotline and other books are glaring to
us.  To a guy dealing in tractors such as a used tractor dealer or a salvage
outfit those errors might not matter much.
That is why I haven't bothered to subscribe to hotline lately.  I have an
old set and that is good enough for what I use it for.....a guide....not a
gospel.

Charlie