[AT] Portland show

Larry D. Goss rlgoss at evansville.net
Thu Apr 1 12:03:51 PST 2004

Ah, they keep me young, Cecil.  They keep me young.  (That and a couple
pints of Guinness to kill the arthritis pain!)  A few years ago, we took
the chamber choir on a tour of the largest Gothic brick cathedral in the
world -- Mariacki, in Gdansk.  Part of the tour included climbing the
520-something steps to the top of the tower.  I didn't want to be left
behind by the students, so I got near the front of the line heading up
the spiral stairs so I could set a pace that I knew I could keep up.
About 2/3 of the way to the top, the wellness nurse from the university
yelled up at me and said, "Geez, Goss!  Do you work out or something?
Slow down!"  I turned around and found the whole gang of students were
about 50 feet below me sprawled all over the stairs and panting for
breath.

I do remember Fred Allen.  I don't remember his wife.  I also remember
that I was always struck by the similarity of features between Fred
Allen and John Cameron Swayze.

On pricing guides: My contention is that the value of any item,
particularly used items like tractors, is precisely what the buyer and
the seller agree to at any point in time.  I have an older brother who
doesn't understand that.  He's been known to walk through the aisles of
antique malls carrying an open price guide in his arms as he goes so he
can compare prices in the mall against the published "authorities."
That's not a fun way of collecting in my opinion.

Larry