[AT] OFF TOPIC - 7.3 L Diesel Air Filter - 2003 Ford F250

Howard Bottles howard.bottles at austin.ppdi.com
Thu Apr 1 10:05:18 PST 2004

Dean-
Ford now sells an air filtering system called the AIS Sever Duty Filter
Kit. It does away with the flat accordion filter and sorry fitting air
filter box lid.

The new style filter is made by Donaldson, using their new PowerCore
filtering technology.

I purchased one and installed it on y '03 PSD.  Kit costs about $200 and
up depending on where you buy it. The price of the replacement element
is somewhat high,
between $60 and $80, but they should last 25-40k miles, depending on
your driving.  That is high for a filter, but it is cheaper than having
to buy a new turbo because it got dusted. The poor design of the stock
air filter lid does not seal as good as it should, and can let dust
around the filter element and on to the turbo, eventually eating up the
vanes.

I would not install the K&N filter, from what I have read, they have the
potential for allowing too much contaminants into the engine.

There are other aftermarket filtering systems out there (Tymar is one),
but I feel better that if there were to ever be an issue with my engine,
the dealer cant complain about the type of filter on the engine, since
it is genuine FORD.

Links:
Pics of the filter
http://www.performancedieselparts.com/AIS_Severe_Duty.cfm

Donaldson info on the PowerCore Technology
http://www.donaldson.com/en/engine/air/index.html

As Always, YMMV

Howard

>> Well after my 4400 mile trip I had the oil changed again at the local
>> Ford
>> dealer for $49.00. I like that much better than the mentioned $89
>> figure.
>> Anyway they informed me my intake air filter was getting dirty. Must
>> have
>> been a really dirty blizzard I ran into one day!  Maybe it was that
>> 50 mile
>> per hour headwind between Moline and Des Moines.  I decided not to have
>> the dealer change it as I want to put in an aftermarket, longer
>> duration,
>> higher performance filter in it.
>> What are you folks using? K & N seems to be a popular air filter.
>> Suggestions?
>> Dean A. Van Peursem
>> Snohomish, WA 98290

This email transmission and any documents, files or previous email
messages attached to it may contain information that is confidential or
legally privileged. If you are not the intended recipient or a person
responsible for delivering this transmission to the intended recipient,
you are hereby notified that you must not read this transmission and
that any disclosure, copying, printing, distribution or use of this
transmission is strictly prohibited. If you have received this transmission
in error, please immediately notify the sender by telephone or return email
and delete the original transmission and its attachments without reading
or saving in any manner.