[AT] Names that have become generic

Tim Bivens bivenshill at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 1 07:02:44 PST 2004

Larry,
I only have go as far back as my latest (2003)
Standard Motor Parts catalog to find the word
condensor. As many of you know Standard is one of the
oldest and biggest ignition manufacturers. If the word
condensor is good enough for them that's good enough
for me. Nowhere in that catalog do I see them listed
as capacitors. I have been in the auto parts business
for many years and I can't tell you how many thousands
of times I have heard customers ask for "points and
condensor". Never once had one ask for "points and
capacitor". I know they are capacitors but they are
called condensors in the auto parts industry. I always
thought that they were called condensors because they
condensed or concentrated (as Brian put it) and/or
stored electricity. Someone said they would hate to
see liquid electricity but I think the term condense
doesn't necessarily have to be limited to liquid or
gas. For instance when you pack cardboard boxes in a
box baler you are condensing them, same thing for
garbage in a trash compactor etc. As far as Fred
Conden goes I think George has him confused with Fred
Condom, the inventor of the prophylactic.

Tim Bivens, Glen Rose, Tx.
(SNIP)

=== message truncated ===